In a nutshell
We are hiring a product manager to join our team at Austin Transportation Data & Technology Services. We’re looking for someone who is curious, hard-working, and excited to leverage modern technologies and practices to build high-quality government products.
This is a full-time temporary position, funded for one year. Hourly pay is $35-$50/hour, commensurate with experience.
About Data & Technology Services
Data & Technology Services is a division of the City of Austin Transportation Department. We embrace progressive civic tech values including open source technology, agile development, and user-centered design to build impactful products with Austin’s mobility planners, engineers, technicians, and staff.
We use a wide range of modern tools to deliver solutions to our users. This includes Knack, a no-code workflow management service, along with enterprise platforms like PowerBI and ArcGIS. We also have a team of developers who build custom software when out-of-the-box doesn’t cut it. We embrace mature open-source frameworks, with an eye towards maintainability and long-term stability. We love web mapping, and we champion open data across the City of Austin.
What is it like to work on the Data & Technology Services team?
You’ll be working alongside people who care deeply about what they do and are driven to tackle the hard problems that city government and Austinites face every day. We’re a small, growing team, and you’ll have a chance to make an immediate impact. We’re going to trust your opinion and expect you to help us make the right decisions. You’ll be empowered to dive into our processes, test new tools, and weigh in on ways we can do better.
We are only a small part of Austin Transportation. You’ll have a chance to work with brilliant colleagues, many of them renowned experts in their fields. You’ll learn firsthand how the City of Austin runs.
While we are fully remote through May, we will likely begin working several days a week from our beloved office at 8700 Cameron Road in June. You’ll need to live in central Texas to take this job.
What products will you be working on?
From field technicians who install traffic signals to planners designing Austin’s bike lanes, you’ll be supporting a range of users by digitizing paper processes, optimizing operational workflows, and improving data quality.
We also have a brimful backlog of project and product requests and receive more all the time. You will have many opportunities to scope, design, and deliver brand-new solutions.
What will you do?
- Lead technology project teams in agile processes to deliver high-quality work
- Own our enterprise product vision, roadmap, and backlog management
- Actively monitor project risks and scope creep to identify potential problems and identify solutions
- Communicate project status and strategic recommendations to stakeholders, team members, and the public
- Establish processes for managing resource allocations for the Data & Technology Services team across multiple projects and initiatives
What we’re looking for…
- Three years of professional experience managing projects for large-scale digital experiences, interfaces, or applications
- Demonstrated ability to work with and support cross-functional project teams
- Ability to contribute to engineering, business, and design decision-making
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal skills
Contract City employees begin accruing paid sick leave immediately, then receive vacation and healthcare benefits after their first year of employment.
All City employees are eligible for free annual Capital Metro passes, an Austin MetroBike membership, and free entry to Deep Eddy and Barton Springs.*
Ready to apply?
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 9.
*No wonder the City of Austin made number nine on Forbes’ list of America’s Best Employers. 🙌 🏊♂️ 🏆